Friday, January 4, 2013

29 Rock

In seventh grade social studies with Mr. Chittock, I distinctly remember learning about the Mayan calendar and how the world was going to end in 2012.  The reason I remember this so well is that my predominant thought at the time was, "I'll be almost 30, I'll probably be close to dead anyway."  After all, what could I possibly be doing at (almost) 30 that could be more important than writing in the super-top-secret-notebook that my BFF and I passed back and forth on an hourly basis???

The answer?  A lot, apparently.  I am doing a lot.  But am I doing enough to love those around me?  Or as I get progressively busier with my life, am I turning more and more egocentric?  So, just like my quest to run the marathon, I am on a quest for 2013...otherwise known as the year I turn 30.  I shall call it, KLPE's 30 for 30.  And I'm pretty sure that if an ESPN copyright lawyer ever reads this blog, I am officially in trouble.

My 30 for 30 is a list of 30 things that I will do (or attempt to do) over the next year that fall into the modern day category of "Paying it Forward."  Now many people have been credited with this thought, from Emerson to Woody Hayes...but here is the true origin of it:

If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you?  Even sinners love those who love them.  And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you?  Even sinners do that. And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you?  Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full. But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.  Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned.  Forgive, and you will be forgiven.  Give, and it will be given to you.  -Luke 6:32-38.  Sorry Buckeye fans, but not even Woody himself can stand up to the Man that spoke those words!  

I contemplated publishing my list on this blog...but several of the items I want to do anonymously and some I don't want to admit to the general reading public (probably because I should have been doing them all along...but hey, cut a girl some slack, I'm trying here!!)  So in lieu of items that are ON my list, here are some items that will NOT be on my list:

1.  Be nicer to Claire.  Trust me, paying for her self-inflicted surgeries (that's right - surgeries plural) seems like all the niceness I can muster towards a horrible, horrible cat.

2.  Adopt a homeless animal.  See #1 and how it's working out for me.

3.  Root for Michigan.  I died a little just typing that.

4.  Donate to the dental school.  Sorry, but the wounds are too fresh.

5.  Buy Dave Laird a new trash can.  Hopefully not doing this will give me a pass on not adopting that homeless animal.

6.  Shovel a neighbor's driveway.  Have you seen the length of my neighbor's driveway?  Besides, he has a ATV with a plow attachment.  Maybe he should shovel MY driveway.

But seriously, in 2013 I will try to do better.  I will try to pass along God's love and truly embrace my upcoming 30th birthday.  And I think if I can do that, it might just end up being my best birthday yet...

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your goal to NOT buy my husband a new trash can. Unfortunately, the city of Columbus doesn't know any better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember Mr Chittock teaching us about this... probably because I was too busy writing in the notebook. At least you were paying attention!

    ReplyDelete