Tuesday, August 14, 2012

In the (comfort) Zone

The weather the last few days has been perfect for running!  And when I say that, I mean it.  You see, my ability to completely justify not hitting the pavement has made it so my comfort zone for running is approximately the size of the head of a pin.  That's just a fancy way to say, "I routinely use the weather as an excuse not to run."

It's over 80°?  Under 40°?  Raining?  Snowing?  Too sunny?  Too windy?  Saturn's not aligned with Jupiter?  Then I'm probably not running.  I mean, you don't expect me to be uncomfortable, do you?

This 'reaching' for excuses doesn't stop at the weather.  Did I eat in the past two hours?  Have I not eaten in the past two hours? (that's some of my typical logic for you right there...)  Did I forget to drink enough water?  Did I drink any milk today?  Do I have my contacts in?  Are my shoes dry?  Is my headband clean?  Do I know where my watch is?  Do I really want to change my clothes?  Did I already shower today?  Is the washer / dryer / dishwasher on?  Did someone just post something new on Facebook?  Then I'm probably not running.

And having a child has only made this easier to do.  Does he need to eat?  Maybe a diaper change?  Will he need a nap soon?  Will my husband be home in time to watch him?  Am I feeling guilty because I should be reading to / making homemade food for / teaching him math him instead?  Then I'm probably not running.  

But these past few days have been perfect.  Temperatures in the 70s and overcast skies.  Very fall-like weather, and I have always associated fall with running, so nothing can stand in the way of me getting out there for a nice long jog!!  Nothing, except that I'm not really sure where my watch is...

2 comments:

  1. I don't believe that for a second. I've never seen someone with a more wicked watch tan than you so I know it's on your wrist! It may not be your special running watch but I know there's a watch there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New Rule: Not allowed to read Kelsey's blog during nap time due to the fact that I laugh out loud and wake the kids up.

    ReplyDelete