Monday, August 20, 2012

Pot Committed

With the clock ticking down until the last day of the 'reduced' early bird registration price, I finally took a deep breath and entered my credit card number into the online form.  $112 later, I was registered.  I know what you're thinking, "$112 to run?  On public roads?"  So let's take a look at where that $112 goes, shall we?

  • Right off the top, the site tells me that $7 is going toward a processing fee.  Really?  Because I'm pretty sure that the website does all of that automatically.   If there really is a person processing the application, and they are getting $7 to type each of the 18,000 registrants' names into an Excel spreadsheet, I am quitting dentistry and applying for that job.  Total remaining fee: $105
  • The marathon expo and packet pick-up is held the Friday and Saturday before the marathon.  I have no idea how much it costs to rent a space in the Convention Center, but they typically have about 130 vendors that have to rent their space.  According to the marathon website, the booth rentals range in price from $600 to $3000.  I'm calling that breaking even.  Total remaining fee: $105 (plus the $5 it costs for me to park downtown so I can pick up my packet)
  • Race day security, which includes off-duty police officers and lots of volunteers.  Let's say they hire 200 off duty police officers for 8 hours at a rate of $35 an hour each.  That's $56,000 for security, divided by 18,000 race participants.  That makes my share...about $3.11.  Total remaining fee:  $101.89
  • One of the race sponsors is Gatorade, so the aid stations should be pretty much free for the race.  Total remaining fee: $101.89
  • The timing chip is built into the bib, which is incredibly handy.  I couldn't easily find a price for these online, but when buying something like that in bulk I can't imagine it is that expensive.  We'll say that printing the bib, adding the chip, and the price of 4 safety pins (that are generously included in the race packet) comes to $1.50.  Total remaining fee:  $100.39
  • I'm going to over-estimate for how much the shirts cost because A) they are nice shirts and B) it will make me feel better about the cost of the race.  Let's say, $7 per shirt.  Total remaining fee: $93.39
  • The race hands out $40,000 worth of prize money for the winners of each division.  I don't mind paying for this as someone can be an incredible athlete, work hard and win the marathon...and their prize is $5000.  That's approximately how much LeBron James makes for tying his shoes.  Elite runners are underpaid = statement of fact.  My share for the prize money is $2.23.  Total remaining fee:  $91.16
  • Let's say the lovely aluminum blanket and medal they hand out at the finish will total $5.  Mostly for the medal, as the aluminum blankets cannot be more than a few cents apiece or they wouldn't hand them out like candy at a parade.  Total remaining fee:  $86.16
  • The food I will consume at the end is as followed:  1 bottle of water, 1 banana, 1/2 an orange and two Krispy Kreme doughnuts.  Total for food:  $3.75.  Total remaining fee:  $82.41
I'm sure there are some expenses that the race incurs for having me there that I'm not aware of, but I would be highly surprised if they totaled more than $82.41.  But nevertheless, running the marathon is my goal, so I will pay the entrance fee (albeit begrudgingly).  I just have to remember to REALLY enjoy double-fisting those Krispy Kremes at the finish line.  After all, each one cost me about $40... 

4 comments:

  1. Now you see why I don't run marathons ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Off duty cops currently make $40/hr. That's a whole $.45 previously unaccounted for. Maybe you should have this auditted, I bet they could find another $.50 or so somewhere. This is what happens when Katie leaves the iPad sitting around.

    - dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This came to my email and it said that Katie left the comment. Now that I see Dave's signature, it is making more sense to me... :)

      I'll see what Patrick can do about that audit.

      Delete
  3. I apologize for my husband's remarks, and from now on, I will sign out of blogger :)

    ReplyDelete